RE: deleting a file ending with a dot

If Windows lets tar create a file that Explorer cannot remove, it sounds
like a Windows problem.

(1)
Try rebooting.  Maybe one of your earlier attempts to delete succeeded but
some file name cache is preserving the name.  (I've noticed that on rare
occasions a file gets deleted but Explorer still shows it.)

(2)
Run scandisk.  Maybe it will find the problem and fix it.

(3)
I'd try this in Explorer.
(a) Create a new temporary directory.
(b) Copy or move everything in the directory with the troublesome file to
the temporary directory.
(c) Delete the directory with the troublesome file.  I'd try holding down
the shift key, which really deletes, rather than just send the directory to
the Recycle Bin.  (We're trying to fix the problem not just move it.)  If it
won't delete, just move it somewhere out of the way and forget about it for
now.  (Maybe someday you will find that it has fixed itself.)
(d) Move or rename the temporary directory to the name and place of the now
deleted directory with the troublesome file.  Or recreate the deleted
directory and move stuff back.