Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.5.6-1

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:57:12AM -0500, Brian.Kelly@Empireblue.com wrote:
>Thank you cgf - I've been eagerly awaiting this.  And thanks to all who
>have contributed to bringing this release about.  I know it's a big one
>with a lot of "deep in the bowels of the code" changes.  Should be the
>best Cygwin yet.

You're welcome.

This is one of the biggest changes to come along in a while.  In a way
it's even bigger than the recent move to 64 bit file I/O.  It's not the
way I normally like to do things but events conspired against me.  So,
the device/fhandler code has been fundamentally changed, the signal
handling code has been fundamentally changed (with more to come), and
we've finally moved to a fully functional Sys V ipc model.

The big gotcha for me was the tty security stuff.  I introduced a
variation on an idea by Pierre Humblet and then spent way too long
stabilizing it, reinforcing in the process that two things I really hate
are usage counts and vfork.  The rips in attention between trying to fix
this and still focus on finishing up the signal changes were almost
audible.  The signal stuff helped me remember how much I truly hate
the Windows 9x, Me family.  At least I now have an easy-to-use test
system for Me, so I can hold my nose and test there, if needed.

Next release should see more signal changes (sigwaitinfo, and possibly
the allowance of sa_sigaction style signal handlers), some beginning
clock/timer stuff (see the most recent snapshot), and maybe completed
fifo support.

Oh, yeah.  1.5.7 will be ready tomorrow.

cgf