Re: Most mirrors don't have md5.sum for setup.exe

Brian Dessent wrote:

Jim Kleckner wrote:

I noticed that the mirror site that I am using
via rsync:
  rsync://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
lost the md5.sum file some time ago (2-3 months?).

*at the top level*

An informal and incomplete check of sites from
  http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

indicates these sites have the md5.sum file:
  http://www.online-mirror.org/cygwin/
  http://cygwin.get-software.com/

http://cygwin.get-software.com/md5.sum

and these sites do not have the md5.sum file:
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
  http://cygwin.thehostedbox.com/
  http://sigunix.cwru.edu/pub/cygwin/ftp/
  http://mirrors.theonlinerecordstore.com/cygwin/
  http://sources-redhat.mirrors.redwire.net/cygwin/
  http://cygwin.matrix.com.br/
  http://ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/cygwin/
  http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/cygwin.com/

Should it be at every site?

I don't understand what you mean by "the" md5.sum file. There is a md5 file for every package. If you open <http://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/> and traverse into the release subdirectory and look at any package dir, there is a md5.sum file with timestamp corresponding to the same date as the packages. In other words, I don't see anything wrong.

Brian

Yes, I know that.

The original message could have had the phrase
"at the top level" though I thought, obviously
incorrectly, that the explicit path to the
containing directory would be clear.

Click on this link to see the existing file:
  http://cygwin.get-software.com/md5.sum

or this one to see that it is missing:
  http://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/md5.sum

This is the md5.sum file for setup.exe, setup.ini etc.

Note that the file mod times are "fresh" in those
sites that have it.

Jim