Modular setup?

Hello.

I suspect that this is a FAQ, but I haven't found it, so I'll ask it!

Unlike linux / *BSD / etc distributions, it doesn't seem easy to automate the cygwin install utility. I don't seem able to get a list of installed packages, give a package to install from a given file, examine the package cache , etc.

Now I think I can figure out how to get to these things, but I would personally perfer a nice command-line package utility which I could use to automate things (particularily an interest of mine, downloading binary patches to existing cached downloads to avoid having to redownload).

This would perhaps require seperating the existing setup into two pieces, a "bootstrap" section which just installed a minimal system involving this setup program, and then running the setup program itself, or perhaps some other method.

Is this kind of thing not covered in cygwin because it is felt it would needlessly complicate things, or simply because no-one has written the code? :)