Re: Is it possible to move emacs from one computer to another?

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Charles Plager wrote:

> Larry Hall wrote:
> > OK.  I'd suggest building a debug version and just try running it in gdb
> > until you see the problem.  This should be pretty easy to do for crash
> > anyway.  I'd recommend starting with this.
>
> I'm not particularly experienced at building large packages so I have a
> few questions:
>
> 1) Do I just get the source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/?

No, you download the Cygwin source using setup.exe by checking the 'Src'
box for the package.  Note that by design of setup.exe, if you have a
version of the package installed, you can only download the source for
that version.

> 2) Are there special cygwin build procedures?  When I typed 'configure'
> (a script that came with emacs), it simply said:
> cplager@pointyjr> configure
> checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `i686-pc-cygwin' systems.
> Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.

Most Cygwin packages come with Cygwin-specific documentation that should
be in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/<package>-<version>.README for newer packages.
That README file should contain build procedures on Cygwin, the exact
configuration options used to build the binary package, etc.

> 3) When past hurdle #2, how do I force a debug build? (simply
> 'make DEBUG=yes'?)?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>    Charles

Most likely that information will be in the Cygwin-specific README as
well.  If not, you could try setting CC="gcc -g" and CXX="g++ -g".  You
may also have to disable stripping of the executables.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu