Re: cannot run POPFile with cygrunsrv anymore

At 08:02 PM 2/4/2004, dAniel hAhler you wrote:
>Hello cygwin-list,
>
>on Wed, 04. Feb 2004 at 14:24:36 -0500 Larry Hall wrote:
>
>L> Services don't work if you install Cygwin as "Just Me". Either
>L> rerun setup.exe and choose "All Users" or remount your "user"
>L> mounts as "system" (see 'man mount').
>
>That's a very good hint!
>
>I tried the second approach, and now have:
>----->8--------------------------------------------------------
>$ mount
>d:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
>d:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
>d:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
>a: on /cygdrive/a type system (binmode)
>c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode)
>d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode)
>e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode)
>----->8--------------------------------------------------------
>
>and after deleting /var/log/popfile.log (which had no permissions for
>SYSTEM), it now works..

Excellent!

>If I understood correctly, the mount settings are stored in registry
>and so I do not have to put anything into /etc/profile or sth?!

I never mentioned anything about where the mount settings are stored.
Their storage location is completely inconsequential overall.  It just
so happens that, at the moment (and for many moments in the past ;-) ),
mount information is stored in the registry.  This will not be true in
the future.  This is why I pointed you to the 'mount' command.  It
queries and manipulates the mount settings from the command line
irrespective of where the data is stored.  So, to answer your question
about whether something needs to be added to /etc/profile relative to
your original inquiry, the answer is "no".

>Thank you!

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.

>btw: what would be changed, when running cygwin-setup.exe and going
>from "Installed for Just Me" to "All Users"?

What changed is the mount type for the default mount points created by
setup.exe.  They changed from "user" to "system".  This means the mount
points are no longer user-specific but available to all users (including
SYSTEM).

Holliston, MA 01746