Re: zsh-4.1.1-2 still seems broken under Cygwin-1.5.7-1 .

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 02:03 AM 2/12/2004, Peter A. Castro you wrote:
> >On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Morris Siegel wrote:
> >
> >> My PC is running under Windows XP Professional, and until recently with
> >> Cygwin-1.5.5-1 and zsh-4.1.1-1 .  I upgraded to Cygwin-1.5.6-1, installing
> >> everything available, in particular including zsh-4.1.1-2 .  zsh behaved in
> >> a buggy fashion.  I reported it; you kindly replied that similarly problems
> >> had been reported by others, and that Cygwin-1.5.7-1 should fix matters.  I
> >> upgraded to that, and the behavior is improved, but still buggy: (1)
> >> sometimes when I start zsh it hangs, sometimes it starts normally; (2) zsh
> >> command-line editing generally badly messes up the display when long command
> >> lines are being edited.  I seem to recall that problem (2) was a consistent
> >> nuisance a while back, but then some new Cygwin release (I don't remember
> >> which) fixed it.  (I generally run zsh under screen, by the way.)
> >
> >cgf said in earlier email that this has been fixed in CVS and will be
> >pushed into the next release.  For the moment, if you really need zsh
> >(like me :), downgrade to 1.5.5 and wait for the update to appear.
>
> As I mentioned before, it's better to verify that the current snapshot does
> address the problem you're seeing locally.  Otherwise, if you're seeing a
> variant or something different than the rest, your problem won't be known
> until after 1.5.8 is released.  See <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/> for the
> latest snapshots you can download and try.

Thanks, Larry, but I've already confirmed the latest snapshot (20040206)
fixes the problem.  Still, I feel it's best for most regular users to
wait for the official release instead of possibly compromising their
current environment.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>