Cygwin xemacs 21.4.14 fonts broken

I am installing xemacs on cygwin on a new PC and want to get a smaller
font size like my old PC so more text can fit on the screen.

I recently installed cygwin 1.5.7 and the xemacs 21.4.14 that came with
it, but the fonts are broken.  When I select Options->Font Size->, I see
a greyed out menu item "Cannot parse current font".  I also tried doing
this programmatically according to
http://www.xemacs.org/FAQ/xemacs-faq.html#SEC273, but that just got ignored.

I also downloaded the latest xemacs installer from xemacs.org and tried
that.  This version seems to be an older XEmacs 21.4.13 and the fonts
work there, but there is some other brokeness.  For example, I am not
able to run "dired" on a directory or use ediff.

Any ideas?

-Edwin

PS: I tried some google searching but didn't come up with anything.