Re: Still trouble with IPC/cygipc

Frank Wuebbeling wrote:
Hi,

I'm still having trouble understanding how IPC is supposed to be working now. I
used to be running apache 2.0, but that fails now due to lots of IPC problems.
cygcheck tells me my installation has cygipc version 2.03-2, cygwin is at
1.5.7-1, and yes, I reinstalled cygwin after installing cygipc so that my
include files point to the new ipc distribution.

No, that means you now have: /usr/include/sys/ipc.h <<< from cygwin /usr/include/cygipc/sys/ipc.h <<< from cygipc Which is good, right, and proper.

From /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygipc-*.README, you need to
  1) compile with -I/usr/include/cygipc
  2) link with -lcygipc

If you don't do #1, you end up with cygwin/cygserver's declarations. If you don't do #2, you end up with cygwin/cygserver's implementations.

ipcs then gives me

wuebbel% ipcs
Bad system call

And finally, ipcs is the cygwin/cygserver version. You want ipcscygipc. (you did upgrade cygutils to 1.2.4-1, right? And then re-installed cygwin-1.5.7 AGAIN after doing so?)

just like any call to shmget as in:

#include <sys/ipc.h>
#include <sys/shm.h>
main()
{
 printf("%d\n",shmget(1,10,IPC_CREAT|IPC_PRIVATE));
}
wuebbel% cc x.c
wuebbel% a.exe
Bad system call

Yep, you're using cygwin's routines, which expect that cygserver is running. It's not, so that's a "bad system call."

Or, you could bail on cygipc and just use cygserver instead. Crank up the cygserver daemon (see /usr/share/doc/cygserver* ? I think...) and try your tests again.

cygcheck(edited):

In the future, do not paste the cygcheck output but rather attach it. That way, it won't clog the search engine results with false hits for "XFree86" etc.

--
Chuck