Re: Assembler

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Most of the C code on Linux doesn't use int 0x80.  It normally invokes
> user-level functions that invoke system calls.
>  Why not go the same route
> with Cygwin?  In one of the previous messages in this thread, there was an
> example of calling printf from assembly.  You should be able to make calls
> to the Cygwin emulation layer the same way.

The syntax is not up to me.

>From your answers, I still don't know whether using int 0x80 in Cygwin is
impossile (directly) or not. If Nasm (I'm limited to this assembler) can't
generate proper executables that would work with Cygwin, then what should I
look for? I guess that some kind of translator that changes expressions like

mov eax, 4
int 0x80

into

call _write

(with proper arguments) has already been created. I don't know where to
start searching, though. But if not, is there any point to start such a
project? Do you think it is possible to be more or less working in, let's
say, half a year?

Regards
Krzysztof Duleba