Re: Zsh crashes on Ctrl-Z with cygwin1.dll snapshot 20040218/20 - solved with 20040221

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 03:48:43PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:28:18PM +0100, Stefan Dalibor wrote:
> >Please retry with a function to start vim - on my installation
> >
> >CYGWIN_NT-5.1 SINDBAD 1.5.8s(0.110/4/2) 20040218 17:35:06 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
> >
> >it's sufficient to define
> >
> >function v { vim $*; }
>
> Nope.  Still works fine.

Strange - if I have no personale customizations left, what could be
the difference that makes the bug reproducable on my system and
irreproducable on yours?  Should I mail the complete output of
`cygcheck -c' on my machine, the list of XP patches installed or
something similar?

Anyway, your patch for the crash of mutt when being suspended fixes
the zsh problem, too - it's gone after upgrading to snapshot 20040221!

> >Do you have any idea how to pinpoint the source of this problem further,
> >short of building zsh with a debugging malloc (which is something I
> >probably can't do before 2 or 3 weeks due to lack of time, which would
> >be much too late for cygwin 1.5.8)?
>
> How does malloc enter into it?  I don't see anything pointing to malloc
> here.

I was just guessing for the usual suspects - if it's not the cygwin DLL,
a memory management bug in zsh triggered by the latest changes in the
Cygwin environment seemed like a plausible candidate to me.

As the crashes are fixed by snapshot 20040221, should I investigate
further (in case another bug is lurking behind the scenes), or can
we consider this file closed?

Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Dalibor <dalibor at cs dot fau dot de>