Re: nfs-server re-exporting mapped network drives

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Smith, Gene wrote:

Dave Korn wrote:

>> -----Original Message----- From: cygwin-owner On Behalf Of Smith, Gene Sent: 12 March 2004 15:38
>
>> The file nfs-server-2.2.47-2.README states:
>>
>> "If you want your mount and NFS daemons to re-export mapped network
>> drives, you will need to run them under an account other than Local
>> System, and start both daemons with the '-r' option to enable
>> re-exporting."
>>
>> I was able to "install" the daemons using the -r option with my
>> usual login account (which also works for mapping network drives).
>> However when I try to "start" them in the services gui I get an
>> error stating "the program terminated unexpectedly" and the windows
>> event log is no more helpful.
>>
>> I don't have a problem if I install/start the daemons without -r
>> under the default "LocalSystem" rather than my own account.
>>
>> Is this a possible bug in the nfsd/mountd daemons or is it actually
>> rejecting my account at start-time? (I get no complaints when I
>> enter my uid/password+password.) If it it rejecting my account,
>> what type of permissions do I need to be able to do this?
>>
>> cygcheck attached.
>>
>> Thanks, -gene
>

> It's most likely that the programs are actually starting OK but
> erroring out almost at once.  You haven't tried the obvious
> experiments yet: what happens when you install them *with* -r under
> LocalSystem?  What happens when you install them *without* -r under
> your usual login account?  You've changed two things at one time: the
> command line flags, and the account under which it runs.  You'll have
> to revert one of them to find out which of them caused the problem.
>
> Having said that, it's likely to be a Win ACL/privs problem.  If you
> edit your local security policy to enable auditing of failures for
> all events, you may well get some useful information in your event
> viewer (security log) next time you try and start the server.  It
> will certainly show up if the daemons are trying something that
> requires privileges enabled that they don't have.
>

> cheers, DaveK

When I do -r with LocalSystem, all daemons start and I can mount as
expected on remote computer, but can't see the mapped drive (which I
have mounted on the computer running nfs-server into a new directory off
/ as described in the cyg/nfs readme.

Running "mount -m" on the nfs-server computer all show -s
(system/global) mounts.

When I run without -r and use my usual NT account, I get the same result
as running with -r and my usual NT account. Daemons fail to start.

I enabled the security audit log but the only time I see a failure there
is when I intentionally put in a bad password when prompted. Otherwise,
no security errors when using my own account.

I tried installing/starting portmap with my nt account and it would not
go at all until I put it back to LocalSystem. (I have had no problems
starting portmap until I tried this.)

I do see a bit more detail in the "application log" for nfsd and mountd
when they fail to start under my account. They both produce 2 log
entries (4 total) when they fail (see attached). I have included the
ones for nfsd. The ones for mountd are very similar so I did not include
them.

I notice that the app log refers to /var/log files. In /var/log the
nfsd, portmap and mountd log files are owner/group = SYSTEM/root. Could
this be significant? The only one containing data is nfsd.log but
nothing in it seem to pertain to my problem, since the data only went
in, apparently, when it was working right (with LocalSystem account).

Any more ideas?

-gene

Event Type: Error Event Source: nfsd Event Category: None Event ID: 0 Date: 3/12/2004 Time: 2:07:26 PM User: SEA\SMITED Computer: 04J005 Description: The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( nfsd ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: nfsd : PID 2320 : starting service `m' failed: redirect_fd: open (1, /var/log/nfsd.log): 13, Permission denied.

Hmm, this one should be pretty obvious -- a "chmod a+w /var/log/nfsd.log" should fix this right up. Igor

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   nfsd
Event Category: None
Event ID:       0
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( nfsd ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
following information is part of the event: nfsd : PID 2336 : starting
service `nfsd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted.

-- http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/ |\ _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D. '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!