chown, #!command in scripts, auto-execute (.bat), etc

Larry Hall wrote:

At 12:51 PM 3/25/2004, you wrote:

Hallo!
I'm using CYGWIN_NT-5.1 (cygcheck.out attached)
*I installed Cygwin in a Subdir /cygdrive/d/temp/Cyg/, because here we don't have permissions for /. So I want to chroot to that installation-directory, for getting the programs working properly.
chroot $InstallROOT $InstallROOT/usr/bin/bash
-->> "chroot: cannot chdir to root directory: No such file or directory"
At home I did the same, ADDITIONALLY having /usr/bin/bash, but I get the same errors.

This makes perfect sense to me, given your cygcheck output.  I'll give you
a hint as to why this makes sense to me.  What is "$InstallROOT" set to?

Hallo!
Content of $InstallROOT is in the comment (see lines below!), but that seems to be unimportant,
perhaps the following lines are more important than cygout.txt?! ;-)
I unpacked all to a directory (Temp), where we have write-permissions.
So "my (imaginary) Root" is that directory, and I want to chroot to that directory, which doesn't work. (chroot instead of mounting /)
Is mount D:/Temp /Xyz the same as mount /cygwin/d /Xyz ?
Why is /cygwin not named /mnt? - Why is it not possible to mount other things into /cygwin?
Or is /cygwin the (source-) "device" ?

chroot $InstallROOT; doesn't work  # InstallROOT=/cygdrive/d/Temp/Cyg
Also cd /; chroot .    # doesn't work
chroot /;    # works, but worthless

* mount works, whereas I can't alter anything (umount, mounting others doens't work)
-->> umount: /cygdrive/H: Permission denied
mkdir X; mount /dev/hda1 X -->> mount: X: Invalid argument
which devices are to be used? (As /dev/null nothing exists, but works)

I think you don't understand what mount does in Cygwin. Read 'man mount'
and <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MOUNT>.

I read it, but it doesnt work as expected:
mkdir $HOME/L; mount -u D:/ $HOME/L
-->mount: /cygdrive/d/temp/Cyg/home//L: Invalid argument

* Why doesn't work #!bash ? On other systems it's enough to let it find by the $PATH.

And what's in your path?  Would you be able to find bash in it's installed
location using only your currently defined path as a guide?

$InstallROOT/usr/bin is in my PATH. Typing bash (or any other command) (in the Home-dir) works!
The problem is that under cygwin the path is not searched for any #!Commands (try out yourself!)

Extension .bat is executed by command.com, if no extension, I would like to be able to leave the #!command out!

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're driving at with this statement, unless it
was just meant to clarify that you cannot run 'bash' without specifying
the full path to it.

I'm speaking about the extension. Is it possible to execute any script (without known extension) using bash.exe,
WITHOUT having to write #!bash.exe in the first line?! (Because otherwise it is executed by command.com)
What does mount -x/-X/-E do in detail? (any files being interpreted as binary, regardless their permissions?)
-o Option (-o managed) doesn't work?

thanks, Andrew Please also send your reply by Email to k009aaka+AT+unet.univie.ac.at