Re: can't type 's'

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Dai Itasaka wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I can't type 's'. If I escape it with Ctrl-V, then I can see it.
> If I type the word "mississippi", I get "miiippi". Some folks
> remember the thread on the Cygwin/X ML? That was last October.
> I thought it was related to the X because I got this on xterm,
> but it turned out to be a non-X issue because it happens on
> the console windows too.
>
> This happens on the bash prompt. Since I prefer tcsh to bash
> and I don't have this problem on the tcsh prompt, this wasn't
> such a big issue to me.
>
> Now, the same thing happens on the prompt of the gdb command
> invoked from tcsh. It matters to me now.
>
> What is the fix? Is it true that it is related to ~/.inputrc?
> I appreciate your help.
> Thanks,
> Dai

That's very easy to check -- just rename ~/.inputrc temporarily and see if
it fixes the problem.

It does sound like a readline configuration problem.  What's the output of
	bind -p | grep '^"s"'
on your system?  What do you have in your ~/.inputrc?  An alternative way
to provide readline configuration is by putting "bind" commands in
~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile, so check those as well.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu