Re: cygwin install failing at download/progress stage

Didn't I mention about this last time? <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

Eeks - sorry. I missed it amongst the response and skipped over it. I have to make a transition from newsgroup to listserver. (Wish there was an English newsgroup for this too)

That's the log from a failed run. It just hangs there on the download screen saying "Downloading... setup.bz2 Connecting... Progress:" With no progress. Then a window comes up. When I just tried it now it said: "Internet Error" in the title and "550 /cygwin/setup.bz2: Not a directory" in the message. The original setup window still hangs there after I click "OK". (Its been hanging there the whole time I have been typing this) and this second a second window poped up with "550 /cygwin/setup.ini: Not a directory" followed by "Cygwin Setup: Unable to get setup.ini from "ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin>". I try another one and get a similar response (am trying again now). The date on the log file is a month old though so I am wondering if it is writing anything now or if the text there is from when I started trying to install it. Deleting the log and trying again does not reproduce the log. I run setup from c:\download and look for the log file in c:\cygwin\var\log.

This sounds strange. Something's not quite right there. You should be getting a new log every time you run. Try looking around for it. Maybe
it's not ending up where it's expected.

As far as the setup.[ini|bz2] goes, this still sounds like a networking problem to me. Why don't you try to grab the file yourself through your
browser and see if it's successful. I'm guessing you'll have the same problem.

I deleted all cygwin files and started from scratch. I was unable to log onto ftpeasynet.be via Mozilla Firebird but had no problems using IE and could download the setup files. Running setup caused an immediate failure though at the point of download again. Downloading the setup files to the local package directory and pointing the setup program there crashed it. After running setup again it again froze at the download stage and after several minutes of waiting and nothing happening I hit cancel and here is the log from that (below). It seems to be stuck at the ftp prompt not entering any commands.

2004/04/14 23:31:20 Starting cygwin install, version 2.416
2004/04/14 23:31:20 Current Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Altman Family\Desktop
2004/04/14 23:31:20 Changing gid to Users
2004/04/14 23:31:20 Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
2004/04/14 23:31:22 source: network install
2004/04/14 23:31:22 root: C:\cygwin binary system
2004/04/14 23:31:38 Selected local directory: C:\cygwin\local_pkg
2004/04/14 23:31:40 net: Direct
get_url_to_membuf http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/mirrors.lst
getUrlToStream http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/mirrors.lst
2004/04/14 23:31:46 site: ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin
get_url_to_membuf ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin/setup.bz2
getUrlToStream ftp://ftp.easynet.be/cygwin/setup.bz2
ftp > 220 minx.ftp.be.easynet.net FTP server ready
ftp > 331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
ftp > 230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
ftp > 200 Type set to I
ftp > 227 Entering Passive Mode (212,100,160,33,169,170).
2004/04/14 23:34:14 Ending cygwin install.

Hm, this may be part of your problem. You might want to look at:

How do I uninstall all of Cygwin? <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19>

Thanks. Did it and managed to get the log going right.

Thanks for helping me out.
Ben