RE: i want to re-download all packages... how?

 _That_ is plain MEAN ;-)

> Actually, I think that was his original problem. ;-)  If you want
> to make setup forget about what you have installed, you need to
> remove the files in '/etc/setup'.  This assumes the OP wants to
> install everything too though, which isn't clear from the
> original post.

 He wanted it on a cd/rw... IMO that implies _not_ installing it.

Here's an easier way, assuming you have cygwin already installed.

I suppose this could be the basis of a temporary(!?) deactivation of
an entire cygwin installation (maybe even swapping from one cygwin version
to another!); here we go:

	$ echo >/recyg.bat "cd \"$(cygpath -w /bin)\""
	$ mount -m >>/recyg.bat

Note that if you have this;
	$ echo $CYGWIN
... check_case:strict ...

then you might have to launch CMD.EXE (or COMMAND.COM) like this;

	$ CMD.EXE
	Microsoft Windows <BLURB>

	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin> umount -A
	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin> mount
	c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
	d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
	e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)
	<blah, blah>

 run setup.exe, do whatever you like EXCEPT reinstall.

For ease of restoration;
 do _NOT_ close the bash you have open.
Note - *This* is why you shouldn't reinstall:
 you'll have bash+cygwin1.dll loaded, at least.

Though, FWIW: Closing the bash session+rxvt/console isn't a problem;
all you have to do is look up <cygwin-install-path>\recyg.bat
and execute it.

Given the above _NOT_ closed bash though; restoration is done thus:

	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin>..\recyg
	<a bunch of mount commands get executed>
	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin>mount
	<list of previous mounts>
	c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
	d: on /cygdrive/d type system (binmode,noumount)
	e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode,noumount)
	<blah, blah>

	C:\Program\Cygwin\bin>exit
	$

...your previous cygwin is back again.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59+16.37'N, 17+12.60'E

** on a mailing list; please keep replies on that particular list **

-- printf("LocalTime: UTC+%02d\n",(DST)? 2:1); --
--END OF MESSAGE--