Re: Trouble running awk & deployment of Cygwin

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Robert Pollard wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I ran into a problem with Cygwin whilst trying to run awk.  I get the
> error:
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:080c IP:554c OP:63 69 66 69 65 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application
>
> This happens when running it in any form including trying to get the
> version: awk --version
>
> I don't know if this has any bearing on it but this particular version
> of Cygwin was downloaded on one machine and I copied the Cygwin folder
> on to the machine I am having this error on.
> I intend on putting Cygwin on Windows machines using an install process
> and modifying registry entries as needed.
>
> I need suggestions and gotchas on doing this.  It is for deployment
> for software we developed.  After having several different problems I
> finally imported another user's registry and it started working for the
> most part.
>
> I would appreciate tips or a place where there is a guide of some type
> on deploying Cygwin in a non-interactive install process.  We want the
> install to occur without user intervention.
>
> Thanks for all your help in advance,
> Robert Pollard

Robert,

"awk" in Cygwin is not an executable -- it's a symlink to "gawk".  Thus,
it won't work from the "DOS" prompt.  If you want to run awk from the
command prompt, use "gawk".
	Igor
P.S.  Judging by the error, you're running Win9x/ME.  However, for the
future, please look at the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for instructions on providing the
relevant information about your installation.
P.P.S.  You *are* aware that if you are distributing your software, you
also have to release the sources for all the binaries (including Cygwin),
as per the GPL.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu