Cygwin's chmod +X

I noticed while creating a bash script to backup my parents outlook &
mydocuments folers, that WindowsXP does not recognize a "superuser" as
being allowed access to a users folders!

(bah. roger grumbles some more.)

Anyways, I set out to mainly change these permissions myself within the
script and yet found another bug while performing chmod a+X -R
./some_folder_with_subfolders

(In brief, the -X set's the bit for folders to allow a user entry and -x
is to set execution bit)

I've found at times that issuing the "chmod a+X -R" would also give
files execution permissions.

I basically had to fiddle and found hack (or a way) around this issue by
doing:

cp -rf ./some_folder ./
chmod a+X -R ./some_folder

I used the "cp -rf" option instead of "cp -ax" (or for preserving
original permissions) and allowed the shell to specify permissions for
new files.

I would have loved to "cd /root_folder" ; "tar -cpvjf backup.tar.bz2
./some_folder", however, I ran into problems with the reliability of
using "chmod a+X" on the original file system (or paranoia of fiddling
more with Windows -- ie "Why Fix something if it isn't -obviously-
broke?")

So basically, I'm copying the original folder to a tmp location and then
removing them once tar is finished.

This appears to be a MS Windows bug issue due to it's more relaxed file
permissions?

--

Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html