Re: IPtraf for cygwin?

Kristoffer wrote:

> As far as I can conclude the IPTraf package isnt ported to cygwin.

Correct.

> Therefore ive conclude that i have to port it in the following way
>
> using cygbuild.
>
> 1. unpack the source (is the binary enought) and recompile it.
>
> 2. Install it in some library.
>
> 3. Use cygbuild to compress it to a cygwin-package.
>
> Is this right? Is it possible to use IPtraf on cygwin.
>
> Im new to cygwin but am deifnatly up for the challenge.
>
> Comments and answers are much welcome.

>From the README of IPtraf:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
-------------------

IPTraf 2 requires Linux 2.2.  It now uses the new PF_PACKET socket
family
as its capture mechanism.  This feature is new to the 2.2 kernel.
IPTraf
1.4 will still work with kernel 2.2 with no problems, except for a
warning
message in the syslog indicating the use of the obsolete (AF_INET,
SOCK_PACKET) mechanism.  The warning can be safely ignored.  Make sure
you
have the Packet Socket driver compiled in or installed as a module, or
IPTraf will fail (and so will others like it: tcpdump, netwatch, etc).

IPTraf also requires glibc 2.1 or later.

In other words, forget it.  Cygwin is not Linux.  It implements a POSIX
compatibility layer, which in no way includes emulation of the Linux
kernel's internals.  Any software that depends on particular features of
the Linux kernel will never be easily ported to Cygwin or just about any
other POSIX OS for that matter.

Brian