sshD fails to start as a service

'lo folks.. Been subscribed a while and reading through, as well as much
searching through the archives, but I've not found anything which fixed my
problem..

When I installed cygwin on my xp pro system, I included ssh.

Run ssh_host_config, tell it to install sshd, and use privsep.
SSH fails to start, giving an error saying it terminated unexpectedly
(windows error)

Event Log contains this:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
details. The following information is part of the event: sshd : PID 3576 :
starting service `sshd' failed: execv: 255, error 255.

Additionally, trying to start sshd manually also failed.
I have since reconfigured it not to use privsep, and the situation has
changed slightly.

Attempting to start the service in windows results in Error 1067: The
process terminated unexpectedly.
The following appears in the event log:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( sshd ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
details. The following information is part of the event: sshd : PID 3348 :
starting service `sshd' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted.

This would suggest that sshd is perhaps being started as the wrong user? It
is being run as Local System. No changes have been made to how it is
installed by ssh_host_config .

However, I can manually start it using /usr/sbin/sshd.exe from within a
shell, and then use ssh to localhost, or from another machine, with no
issues at all.
This is starting to cause me headaches.

(I have similar issues with cygwin nfsd and mountd)
All three fail to access log files within /var/log . I would have thought
this was to be expected as they were using a cygwin path outside of cygwin?
Or am I missing something obvious with this bit?

Attached is my cygcheck output..

Any suggestions would be most welcome.. I've come across this a number of
times, but always given up...

Cheers, Chris