Re: Problem creating files on network drives with cygwin 1.5.10-3 and tar

On Jun 15 14:48, Rick Rankin wrote:
> --- Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 11 14:02, Rick Rankin wrote:
> > > After upgrading to 1.5.10, I'm seem to be having a problem creating files
> > on
> > > network drives using tar. For quite a while now (a couple of years, at
> > least),
> > > I've been using tar to back up several directories to a network share, and
> > had
> > > no problems up through version 1.5.9. However, with 1.5.10-3, I get the
> > message
> > >
> > > tar: /cygdrive/m/test.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
> > > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > >
> > > when I issue the command
> > >
> > > tar -cf /cygdrive/m/test.tar test
> >
> > WFM.  Could you send an strace output of that command?  Perhaps that
> > helps.
> >

> Corinna,
>
> The strace output is attached. I looked at it some, but without looking at the
> cygwin internals (I can't access external CVS repositories from work), it
> doesn't make too much sense. Windows error 2 (The system cannot find the file
> specified.) is accurate. The file really doesn't exist. If I execute 'touch
> /cygdrive/m/test.tar' prior to running the tar command above, tar executes just
> fine.

Still, I can't reproduce that.  I can successfully create a tar archive
on a remote drive, same command as above, on a Samba share as well as on
a NT4 share.  Hmm, could you try a recent developers snapshot from
http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/ ?

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.