Re: cygwin installer

Let us move this discussion to the list - I answered directly by a
mistake...

I understand your concerns very well - in that case I would copy the
necessary packages to a local download site - create a setup file that
includes your specific packages only and defaults to install everything you
have on your site.

This way you will be able to maintain your own site in a controlled manner,
but still give everybody the possibility to run with cygwin the way they
prefer....

I also believe that this is MUCH,MUCH easier than developing you own
installer btw...

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Franz Wolfhagen

"Jonah Bossewitch" <jonahboss@fastmail.us> wrote on 23-06-2004 08:06:35:

> I do appreciate your caution, but I am still not convinced.
>
> The particular application we are porting targets ~30 students a
semester,
> most of whom are relative newbies.  Most will never have heard of cygwin,
> and would never use it for anything else ever again.  For them, I believe
> that a single click install which includes everything they need
> (cygwin1.dll, tcsh, awk, our binaries, whatever) would be idea.  If the
app
> works in this environment they are set.  I think that the wizard
installer
> would simply confuse them.
>
> Any students who happen to have cygwin installed, should be able to deal
> with installing the program themselves within their existing cygwin
> environment.  Perhaps it would be convenient for us to provide them with
> local package they could install, but for the majority of users I think
that
> an installer is preferable.
>
> Do you agree with this logic?
>
> best,