Re: bash: simple command problem

This is not specifically related to Cygwin.

Anyway, your command does not work because the variables (variableA and nextVariable) are expanded by Bash before the line is executed (as always).

In fact, something like this would work:

variableA=valA nextVariable=next eval 'echo $variableA $nextVariable'

Ciao,

Danilo

cygwin.20.job@spamgourmet.com wrote:

Hi Folks

I hove the problem to set variable in front of executing a command. The
bash manpage says that a simple command is a set of variable assignment
followed by the command

So I think that

variableA=valA nextVariable=next echo $variableA $nextVariable
should echo valA next but when I try this in the bash the echo is empty

Did I understand something wrong or is it a bug?

Regards

Franz

--
Danilo Turina