Re: Rebaseall fails with error 6 ...

At 01:45 PM 6/26/2004, you wrote:
>I've had rebaseall fail with error 6, even when (as far as I knew)
>there were no running processes that had any Cygwin DLL mapped.  (I
>also made sure the DLL was writable).  Out of frustration I
>completely uninstalled, then reinstalled, all of Cygwin, and that
>fixed the problem :-)  I now suspect that rebooting would have
>sufficed.
>
>(But I don't regret reinstalling -- for some reason it's much faster
>now, even though I'm using the same versions of all the DLLs)

That's a little known secret of Cygwin.  It gets faster every time
you reinstall.  It's a reward to those bold enough to endure the
disruption of the reinstall.  Theoretically, if you reinstalled
constantly for one month straight (taking time out for meals of
course), you'd gain the performance of a bank of Crays running
Cygwin.  No one is really sure what that performance would be
though because no one has had enough patience so far to test that
limit.[*]

Holliston, MA 01746

* ;-)  Al this is an *attempt* at humor.  Please don't take any of it
seriously.