RE: "select" returns error "Bad file descriptor" when called with a copy of "svc_fdset" (defined at "rpc.h") as it's readfds argument

  Your code doesn't even compile.  There's no such include file as rpc/rpc.h
on cygwin.  You'll have to come up with a valid testcase.  The fact that it
does compile on your system suggests that you've been hacking around with
your cygwin installation and messed it up.

  In particular you'll get into trouble if you try and mix up posix fd_sets
with win32 fd_sets; they're completely different structures internally.

    cheers,
      DaveK