Cygwin Memory Allocation and heap_chunk_in_mb

I'm using CYGWIN_NT-5.1, under XP Pro.

I've set my heap_chunk_in_mb registry key to a very large value (10240
decimal,) because I'm doing some RAM-hungry numerical calculations.

I have enough space to do this (Control Panel->System reports 12 GB of
virtual memory allocated.)

However, the max_memory program at
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg00234.html> still reports
only 1.5 GB available.  Sure enough, my program dies with an "out of
memory" error at 1.25 GB (the 0.25 GB discrepancy is about right for
the amount of RAM other processes are using.)

Anyone got any ideas what's happening, please?

--

Thanks

Dan Hatton

		Daniel C. Hatton BA, MSci, MA, AMInstP, AILTHE
		Research Fellow

E-Mail:		<dan.hatton@btinternet.com>

World-Wide Web:	<http://www.bib.hatton.btinternet.co.uk/dan/>

Telephone:	+44 (0)20 7679 7913

Fax:		+44 (0)20 7679 7883

Surface Mail:	Mineral, Ice and Rock Physics Laboratory,
		Department of Earth Sciences,
		University College London,
		Gower Street,
		London,