RE: Cygwin Memory Allocation and heap_chunk_in_mb

Errm... just checking the obvious, but.... you _are_ using a 64-bit system,
right?

Because no amount of virtual memory can get around the fact that there's
only 4Gb of addresses in the per-process memory space, and 2Gb of those
belong to the kernel.

Of course, even if you are on a 64bit system, cygwin itself isn't 64-bit.
malloc (as used by that test program) returns a 32-bit pointer.  There's no
way of allocating more than 4Gb without malloc having to start returning
duplicate values!

Try adding a line to your boot.ini to allow you to boot with the /3Gb
switch, and see if that gets you an extra gig of memory.  See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;833721
for details.

    cheers,
      DaveK