Re: Ssh executable is missing

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed several packages from the Cygwin suite successfully.  My
> final goal was to "ssh -X <linux-host>" to run some Linux applications
> on a Win-box I have to work on.  While a startx works fine I was unable
> to find the ssh executable neigther in <cygwindir>/bin nor anywhere
> else.  So I guess I just missed some package to install which enables me
> to use ssh.
>
> Kind regards
>
>           Andreas.
>
> PS: It would be nice to CC me because I'm not subscribed.

Just a couple of comments in addition to Dave's reply:

This seems to be getting dangerously close to the Cygwin/X zone.  While
your question about the ssh executable above does belong on this list, any
further questions about X and X11-forwarding over ssh should be addressed
to the cygwin-xfree list instead.

Speaking of X11-forwarding, to fend off the next obvious question, the
recent versions of openssh (starting with 3.8p1-1) do *untrusted*
X11-forwarding by default, which prevents some applications from working
properly.  You need to use the "-Y" flag instead to turn on *trusted*
X11-forwarding.  For more info, see the 3.8p1-1 openssh package
announcement (<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg01264.html>) or the
Cygwin/X FAQ (<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html>).
	Igor
--