Re: How to run deamons like inetd and ftpd on Windows?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Richard Heintze wrote:

> I typed "info inetd" and it says it should be "run at
> boot time by /etc/rc (see rc(8))."
>
> What the heck does that mean? I tried "info rc" and
> that did not work.

Cygwin is a bit different from other Unix-like systems (see
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CYNUX>.  A lot of the time, to find out how
some application works on Cygwin, you should look at the Cygwin-specific
README file for the package, which is usually present as
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/<packagename>.README (or, for older packages,
/usr/doc/Cygwin/<packagename>.README).  This is especially true for
daemon packages, like inetd, openssh, sysvinit, etc.

> OK, I know a little about UN*X. There are these
> directories in rc.d and I see the cygwin installation
> has created them on my windows machine.
>
> Since I have installed cygwin on my windows machine,
> are the programs in /etc/rc.d/* run when I log in or
> boot?

Not by default.  See the sysvinit package (and the Cygwin-specific
README!).

> What is the difference between init.d, rc.local,
> rc0.d, rc.sysinit? I think it runs rc0.d before rc1.d
> but that is all I can remember. What is the order of
> execution for init.d and rc.local and rc.sysinit?
> Where is this order documented?

Try the Linux documentation project (<http://tdlp.org/>).  However, as
said above, Cygwin is not Unix (or Linux), so this mostly won't help.
Again, I'd refer you to the sysvinit package.

> What are these files in init.d called functions, sshd
> and stunnel? Am I running OpenSSH already? I guess I
> should try it out!

If you did a full install, you most likely have installed openssh.  You
most likely *aren't* running sshd.  See the Cygwin-specific README for the
openssh package.

> So if I want to try out all these interesting programs
> in /usr/sbin (does sbin stand for system binary?) like
> in.ftpd.exe, cron.exe, in.rlogind.exe,
> sftp-server.exe, in.tftpd.exe, proftpd.exe (my
> goodness, why are there so many different ftp
> servers?) do I just use cp to make a redundant copy in
>  /etc/rc/rc5.d?

No, no, no.  You run "cygcheck -f /usr/sbin/<programname>" (e.g.,
"cygcheck -f /usr/sbin/in.ftpd.exe"), and then look at the Cygwin-specific
README for the package which that command returns.  If there is no
Cygwin-specific README, or it doesn't contain the necessary information,
only then do you go to the regular package docs.

> What is the difference between /usr/sbin and /sbin?

On Unix, /usr is usually mounted off a shared network disk, so /sbin
contained all the daemons needed to boot the machine and bring it to
operation even if the network is down, and /usr/sbin contained all the
rest.  On Cygwin, there is no /sbin (historically).  Yet another
demonstration that <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CYNUX>.

> Thanks,
>   Siegfried

HTH,