Re: rsync very slow, but not a network issue

Alexis Gallagher schrieb:
I am finding that rsync+ssh is giving extremely slow file transfers. But this slowdown is hitting not when it needs to send data over the network, but when it applies the rsync algorithm which is supposed to be faster than sending all the data over the network. This is very puzzling.

For a benchmark, I tried transfering a 5.4 MB mp3 file three different ways. Here were my results, as reported by 'scp -v' and 'rsync --progress --stats':

   scp: 311000 B/s
   rsync (file not there): 309000 B/s
   rsync (file already there): 741 B/s

When the file is alredy there, rsync reports a speedup of about 70. (When the file is not already there, the speed up is 1, of course.) I am running rsync over ssh with pre-generated keys installed in my .ssh directories.

This is a binary MP3. rsync (as diff) is not good in checking binary diffs. Please try it with a typical text file, where the patch is smaller than the source. -- Reini Urban http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/