Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?"

At 07:54 AM 7/13/2004, you wrote:
>On 2004-07-08, Larry Hall wrote:
>> At 10:02 AM 7/8/2004, you wrote:

<snip>

>> >My point is this:
>> >
>> >Whilst this is not an issue with Cygwin per se, the nature of Cygwin
>> >means that this issue will tend to arise commonly with Cygwin, and tend
>> >not to arise under traditional unixes.
>>

>> Why's that?
>
>Traditional unixes have been around for longer.
>
>Cygwin contains more to do with joining together stuff which has origins
>in different paradigms, so you are likely to see more problems with edge
>cases.

OK, so your reference to "this issue" was not the find/-noleaf stuff you
found but rather the more general issue regarding functionality and stability
of features in Cygwin, given the differences in maturity.  Sure, I guess
you could make that argument.  I thought you were implying that the
find/-noleaf problem you ran into was the norm for ISO/UDF media with Windows
and Cygwin yet not for Linux/UNIX.

<snip>

>I suppose even if it doesn't get into the FAQ, it's possible that this
>thread will be archived and be indexed by Google.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not against getting this into the documentation
somewhere, or even the FAQ.  I just mentioned that the FAQ probably isn't
the best spot given the current rate of inquiry about it.  The User's
Guide might be better or perhaps another kind of document all-together.
But you're right.  It is "documented" now in some form at least because
it's in the email archives.

Holliston, MA 01746