Re: sending email from Cygwin

On 14 Jul, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>  Thanks for the feedback.
>
>  The problem is that the exim startup code thinks that you are a privileged
>  user (see "privileged 1" above). It does that by checking that you have the
>  "Create Token" privilege (you have not answered my question about having
>  given yourself unusual privileges).
>  However you are not in the admins group (544), so you can't setuid after
>  all.

So that the main user of the machine is able to install software, they
are given admin privileges.  So, I have admin privileges.  I can find
out more details about what that precisely means by asking our Windows
sysadmin people, if it would help?

>  If you don't have that privilege, there is a bug somewhere. That will require
>  more testing.
>  If you have it, I would recommend that you remove it. It opens vulnerabilities
>  for no good reason, AFAIK.
>  If there is no bug, I will modify exim to take care of your peculiar
>  environment.
>  That will be with the next official release.
>
>  >$ uname -a
>  >CYGWIN_NT-5.1 DOYLE 1.5.10(0.116/4/2) 2004-05-25 22:07 i686 unknown
>  unknown Cygwin
>  >

>  Pierre
>
>  P.S.: On normal Unix systems exim is a suid program starting as root.
>  When it's not necessary to be root, it setuid to a non privileged account.
>  That explains the "privilege not needed" comment in the error message.
>  That call fails in your case because you are not privileged enough :(

Ah.  So it's trying to say:
    "root privilege not needed (you have admin privileges)"
or something like that.

luke