Re: ssmtp man page (Was: Re: sending email from Cygwin)

On Jul 16 12:01, luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
> On 15 Jul, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >  > Incidentally is it appropriate to include Cygwin-port-specific
> >  > information in a man page?
> >
> >  Well, from a user perspective it might be cool, but IMHO the original
> >  man page shouldn't be changed, unless it's a change which should be
> >  send upstream anyway.  We have the Cygwin specific documentation in
> >  /usr/share/doc/Cygwin (resp. /usr/doc/Cygwin in earlier releases) for
> >  a long time now.  It should be not too hard to ask users to look there
> >  for Cygwin specific docs.
> >

> >  Corinna
>
> Can you think of a way of incorporating the material in the man page
> that would be palatable upstream?  How do you think people would feel
> about a section "PORTABILITY" or "NOTES" or even "WINDOWS" or "CYGWIN"?

I have no idea.  That's something you would have to ask the upstream
maintainer.  But the first question is if the Cygwin maintainer likes
the idea.

> The above question is relevant to a patch for the ssmtp man page.  If
> ssmtp uses ssmtp-config on most platforms it works on, then I can just
> write a patch that includes both fixes.

ssmtp-config is a Cygwin specific script.

> This is a usability issue.  It's hard enough to teach people to type:
>
> 	man <command-name>
>
> teaching them to type:
>
> 	more /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp-0.x.y/README.ssmtp-0.x.y

Don't make it overly complicated.  `less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp*'
is enough.  And telling people that /usr/share/doc/Cygwin contains
Cygwin specific README files isn't that hard, really.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.