Re: [cygwin tips&tricks] Shortcut to vim in "Send to" folder

Tomasz Rojek wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to share with this tip with any cygwin newbie (all the cygwin developers know it for sure :) I use a few text editors in my daily work, today I finally ;) came to idea to have a shortcut pointing to vim in my "Send to" right click submenu. I use this command in a shortcut to run vim in rxvt window:

C:\FOLDER\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -display :0 -T vim -vb -sr -sl 10000 -bg
black -cr white -fg LightSteelBlue1 -j -fn
"-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-0-0-14-14-m-0-iso8859-2" -e
/usr/bin/vim

Sending a file to vim works fine, drag&dropping any file on above shortcut opens the file in vim too.

Well personally I just use XEmacs instead of vim!

But really I never really understood why people *want* to have to continually have to list and enumerate all of those settings to programs like rxvt such as "-display :0 -T vim -vb -sr -sl..." instead of just listing such resources in your ~/.Xdefaults file and giving is some sort of class name. That way you don't have to respecify all those options all the time and when you get tired of that "color scheme" and/or font settings you need only change your ~/.Xdefaults and wham all your old shortcuts work, instead of having to run around changing a bunch of shortcuts and their options...
--
Hermits have no peer pressure.