Re: setting windows environment variables

Unfortunately, it won't be used on a real operating system, just windows. I write BASH scripts for Linux daily and have tried to use the & in this situation but the behavior doesn't seem to be the same.
We have an odd situation with some user's in one directory with one username and another with a different username and some in just one or the other. Long story...
I needed a way to obtain drive mappings from a directory based on user input on a standalone PC. Being familiar with BASH on Linux I stuck Cygwin BASH on windows 2000.
The script prompts the user for their username and password, then uses ldapsearch to get their home directory path, then uses windows "net use" to map H: to that path and a few other drives. The shares are on a very unstable active directory/windows 2003 setup. Again, long story... If I just call the four "net use" commands one at a time waiting for each to complete before it attempts the next, it will at times take over 5 minutes. Using the & after the "net use" commands does what I want with starting all the mappings without waiting on completion but my BASH window wont' go away until they have all completed.
On Linux, something simple like:
#!/bin/bash
smbmount //srv1/share1 ~/share1 &
smbmount //srv1/share2 ~/share2 &
smbmount //srv1/share3 ~/share3 &
smbmount //srv2/share4 ~/share4 &
exit

would work just fine. Any ideas on how to accomplish the same thing here?

Thanks,

Jason Joines

Robert Pendell wrote:
And it is compatible for use on *bsd, linux, and unix.  So if you are
writing a script to be used on a real *nix or *bsd system then that
would be the one to use.