Re: Slight problem with case sensitivity on managed mounts with C VS-1.11.6

On Jul 22 18:30, Dave Korn wrote:
>   No it isn't.  NTFS is case *preserving*; neither NTFS nor windoze are case
> *sensitive*.

That's only half the truth, though...

>   I am right that using the //./ notation invokes the NtCreateFile function,
> aren't I?  I think that's why the syntax works for deleting NUL files and so
> on, so it ought to work in this case too, shouldn't it?

Nope.  It has nothing to do with using NtCreateFile instead of CreateFile.
The difference between case preserving and cas sensitive is caused by
giving a specific flag to either function:  FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS.
Needless to say that this only works on file systems supporting case
sensitivity.  NTFS is such a file system, btw.  FAT on the other hand...

The problem in using FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS is this:  Any other
application which doesn't use that flag might get seriously confused
by having two files which only differ in case.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.