Re: Fetchmail and Procmail

Jason Tishler wrote:

George,

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 05:19:26AM -0700, George wrote:

1.  I'm getting an error about a "suspicious ~/.procmailrc" file.  I'm
guessing this is a permissions problem.  If that's the case, could
someone let me know what the correct permissions should be?  For the
moment, using a '/etc/procmailrc' seems to be the only thing that
works.

See the procmail man page.

I've read all man page and all related manpages. The procmail manpage states only that:

   If  no rcfiles and no -p have been specified on the command line, proc-
   mail will, prior to reading $HOME/.procmailrc, interpret commands  from
   /etc/procmailrc  (if  present).

What I'm experiencing is that ~/.procmailrc is ignored/complained about whether /etc/procmailrc exists or not.

2.  Procmail seems to be rather slow.  I don't know whether this is
normal, but I've timed one mailbox download and it's taking on average
10 minutes to process 317 messages (2MB total)

It's fast enough for me, 10,000 - 30,000 messages per month -- even on a PIII 500 MHz. Have you tried your test case on a Unix box? If so, is it significantly faster?

I'm confident procmail is an excellent solution, but using the rate I'm getting, 30,000 messages that would translate into 17 hours of processing; given the span of a month, that leaves plenty of time to read all 30,000 of them. :-) I'm wondering if whether the 2 seconds/message average is normal, or indicates a problem with my setup.

As for testing on a Unix box, I'm in that category of Cygwin users who need to make something work in a Windows environment. My question relates more to whether I should be disppointed or satisfied with the results.

Also, is procmail supposed to be called for each individual message?

Yes.

Thanks.