Re: One problem solved --SSHD, new problem using login and passwd

At 09:17 PM 8/28/2004, you wrote:
>Hello from Gregg C Levine
>There are probably man pages for that issue, and I've looked at the one for
>login, and also the one for passwd. But I must be missing something there.
>So here's the question: How can I have a bash shell ask for the password
>created by running passwd?
>
>For example I can reach this system from my other box, using a commercial
>SSH product, but when it asks for a password, and I type in the one I
>created, it rejects it. Obviously I need to set something in the shell
>manager options are set. Be reasonable folks I have not used Cygwin in over
>a year, and I am rather rusty at it.

You're running W2K.  The password it's asking for is the one you use to
login to Windows.  You don't need to create one for Cygwin.  If you do,
it will be ignored.

>Oh, and I solved my problem with running SSHD that I posted earlier about,
>simply by running it directly. Simple enough for my needs. But I must be
>missing the obvious.

Yep, once you know "the secret".  You can't run services unless you install
for "All Users".  Installing for "Just Me" gets you 'user' mounts, which
are personal and not shared with anyone else (especially SYSTEM, which
runs services).  So you wanted to install for "All Users".  You can simply
use "mount -s -f" to remount '/', '/usr/bin', and '/usr/lib' as 'system'
instead now, if you want to run 'sshd' as a service now.

Holliston, MA 01746