Re: filesystem encoding

Arturus Magi wrote:

Windows Explorer is Unicode 3.0 compliant on the NT line (I have several files that use a mixture of English, Japanese, and Chinese in the filename and various description fields), and the 9x line can be made partially Unicode-aware. I don't think the em hyphen is a valid character on any Windows or ISO codepage (other than the Unicode project mirror standard (I want to say it's ISO-11350, but I'm fairly certain that's not right)).

Hmm...interesting. Not entirely sure what the implications of what you are saying are (as I don't really understand codepages).

Does a codepage represent a character with 16 bits? or 8? Could you recommend a book or a URL on the subject? Maybe I should look at this when I have more time (I'm in the middle of a move).

Thanks