This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Installation hangs because asks for input from terminal (Attn: tetex maintainer, setup maintainer)
- From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: Alexander Colesnicov <kae at math dot md>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:05:43 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Installation hangs because asks for input from terminal (Attn: tetex maintainer, setup maintainer)
- References: <41416E12.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Alexander Colesnicov wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
> I tried to install cygwin and it hanged when executing
> /etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh . To proceed further, I marked this
> script as "done" and all the rest was OK. Then I started cygwin and run
> this script manually. I found that it was a conflict with my existing
> fpTeX installation (fpTeX is a TeTeX port to Windows) that defined an
> environment variable TEXMFCNF to one of Windows directories. The script
> post-texmf.sh diagnosted that and asked for user's reaction. I redefined
> the variable in my .bashrc as TEXMFCNF="/usr/share/texmf/web2c:", and
> the script run. The bad thing is that the terminal window does not exist
> during setup.exe run. Therefore, the user can not react to script's
> questions. My recommedation is to reprogram post-texmf.sh in such a
> manner that it will never ask for user's intervention, and will set the
> TEXMFCNF variable uncoditionally to its true value to avoid the
> described conflict.
This is a bug -- postinstall scripts should *not* be interactive, and
certainly not via the TUI (since their output is not seen by the user
while installing). Thanks for reporting it.
As I see it, there are two places where this should be fixed:
- setup.exe should run postinstall scripts with stdin redirected from
/dev/null or equivalent (so that errant scripts don't hang the install)
- the postinstall scripts themselves should have reasonable defaults on
encountering EOF in the input (as a consequence of the first fix).
Hope this helps,
|\ _,,,---,,_ email@example.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ firstname.lastname@example.org
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing." -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html