This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: "which" command does not expand "~" in path
- From: Brian Ford <ford at vss dot fsi dot com>
- To: Errol Smith <errol at ros dot com dot au>
- Cc: cygwin mailing-list <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:48:45 -0500
- Subject: RE: "which" command does not expand "~" in path
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Errol Smith wrote:
> This is all fine & good, but it doesn't change the fact that the
> cygwin-supplied "which" does NOT work with the cygwin-supplied
> ".bash_profile" (when you use a personal ~/bin directory.).
I'm just curious. This is from the Solaris 8 man page for which:
Both aliases and path are taken from the user's .cshrc file
Only aliases and paths from ~/.cshrc are used; importing
from the current environment is not attempted. Must be exe-
cuted by csh(1), since only csh knows about aliases.
To compensate for ~/.cshrc files in which aliases depend
upon the prompt variable being set, which sets this variable
to NULL. If the ~/.cshrc produces output or prompts for
input when prompt is set, which may produce some strange
So, is this a Solaris non-compliance issue, or is which not supposed to be
valid under any non-csh derrived shell?
Senior Realtime Software Engineer
VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
the best safety device in any aircraft is a well-trained pilot...
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html