Re: Request for a version/ revision/ release number for the whole cygwin release/ distribution

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 06:07:18PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>Well, the only good reason to start such a project would be monetary
>benefits.  Besides the simplification of having a (stable) cygwin
>snapshot release from time to time, where all packages play well
>together.
>
>And I don't see any problems to charge money for such distributions, as
>long as the GPL and sourceware's additional restrictions (?) are
>honored.  Like every linux distributor makes money from selling CD's
>and charging for support.  As long as on a server (publicly) the
>snapshot ("release") is also provided.

Hey, an actual useful idea for advancing this concept!

The Cygwin/X project has a contributions link here:

http://x.cygwin.com/donations.html

No one has complained about this so far, so I wouldn't mind adding another
link for specific cygwin projects at the main site.

If anyone is willing to do specific work that benefits cygwin for $$$,
I'll set up a web page for PayPal (or whatever) links.  I don't think
this has to be limited activities related to a monolithic release,
though.  If someone wants to be paid to develop a full unattended mode
for setup.exe that would be cool too.

cgf