Re: Startup problem

At 10:23 AM 10/24/2004, you wrote:
>There must be something wrong with recent setups.
>
>Once upon a time, running the cygwin.bat brought up bash, went through a
>series of startup/login scripts and then it worked. Now, as the poster said,
>bash and nothing works. One is NOT in the home directory but actually in
>the /usr/bin but no path has been set. Confirm this by running common
>commands such as "ls". The will work as "./ls".

Is this meant to be a problem report?  Other than indicating that you
apparently installed Cygwin at some point in the past without experiencing
problems but have not been able to replicate that success, there are no
real details here of what you did or any problems you saw in the process.
The fact that you end up in /bin without your PATH set properly
suggests that 'mkpasswd' did not run for some reason (did any postinstall
scripts run?).  Perhaps you want to check to see if you have a '/etc/passwd'
file and if the settings for your user exist and are correct.  Other than
that, I can't offer more/better advice based on your input.

>Time to fix this.

Indeed.  You might want to start here:

Holliston, MA 01746