Re: Cygwin finally croaked

"Larry Hall" <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote in message 6.1.0.6.0.20041025205130.04524c18@pop.prospeed.net">news:6.1.0.6.0.20041025205130.04524c18@pop.prospeed.net...
> At 08:17 PM 10/25/2004, you wrote:
> >"Larry Hall"
>
> <snip>
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Larry I think I figured it out and it has nothing to do with Cygwin.  I noticed my Task Manager was taking over 50% CPU whenever I had it open.  When it wasn't open I did not experience this drain on the CPU.  Anyway I decided to defrag my memory using this command using the Windows Scripting Host:

MyString = Space(128000000)

This is in a VBS file I call memory.vbs.  It releases memory.  It is accessed like this in the Windows Commnd Prompt:

cscript memory.vbs

When I did that I got cscript is not an internal command.  That is not good.  It meant my ccript.exe was missing.  Well sort of.  After investigating this I noticed I had a new Service and new user accounts in my Server.  Sure enough something was uploaded into my system directory.  It is a variant of ServU which is commonly used by hackers.  They used it in conjunction with:

hidden32.exe
CsC.exe
ip.exe
jacheck.dll
jastat.dll
nc.exe
WSManager32.exe (camouflaged ServU) (runs as a service)
sec.exe
pwdump2.exe
sc.exe
hxdef100.exe
samdump.dll
uptime.exe
psinfo.exe
kill0103.exe
psloggedon.exe
fport.exe
hxdefdrv.sys

There are two more services that also run.  I looked at the ini used to set it all up and so knew where to look.  I believe it happened due to the Windows Media Service because now that is broke.  I removed it.

I found these because I knew the time the issue above started and I was able to see the new files created in my System directory around that time.

Anyway I noticed the issue with Cygwin at about the same time.  I have cleaned these things out and voila Cygwin is fine now.

Thanks for looking into this with me.

--
George Hester