Problem using cygwin autoconf

My name is Brad Bell, see
    http://www.seanet.com/~bradbell
for a description of me.

On the web page
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#forum
the suggestion is made to carefully chose who to send questions to.
I am sending you this question because your e-mail address
was listed in the web page

Recently (today) I installed the current version of Cygwin from
    mirrors.kernel.org
Now I am having trouble using the autoconf and automake tools under cygwin.
To be specific, In response to the command
    autoconf
I get the error message
    Can't locate object method "path" via package "Request" at
    /usr/autotool/devel/share/autoconf/Autom4te/C4che.pm
    line 69, <GEN1> line 214.
I get a similar error message in response to the aclocal and autoheader
commands.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I should proceed to resolve this
problem ?