Re: Cannot start sshd service

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Walter Garcia-Fontes wrote:

> I'd appreciate any hint to solve the following problem:
>
> I get the "Could not start sshd service on Local Computer. Error 1067:
> The process terminated unexpectedly." I've seen some reports on this
> in the archives, but none of the solutions suggested worked for me. Here
> is the status of my installation:
>
> 1) I followed carefully all the steps in the specific doc for openssh
> for Cygwin (/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README).

Does this mean you ran ssh-host-config to install the sshd service?

> 2) I'm running it under the SYSTEM account. I'm able to launch the sshd
> service manually from a sysbash, and it accepts remote connections
> without a problem, but I can't start from the service manager of with
> "net start sshd".

What does the Windows Event Log show?  Is there anything in
/var/log/sshd.log (even though as installed by ssh-host-config, sshd
doesn't log there by default).

> 3) I double checked permissions in the relevant files, and set them up
> the way the doc says in 1), but it doesn't work.

Are all the needed DLLs executable (run "cygcheck /usr/sbin/sshd.exe" to
list the DLLs)?  Are all of them in the PATH for the service?

> [snip]
> 5) I mounted everything as system and binmode.

Since you ran from system bash, could you also verify that there are no
*user* mounts for the SYSTEM account?

> 6) Here is the output of cygcheck:
> [snip]

In the future, please *attach* the output of cygcheck, to minimize false
positive hits in archive searches.  Besides, your cut&paste seems to have
cut off the first column on some lines...

One more suggestion: add a script like

#!/bin/sh
date >> /var/log/test.log
env >> /var/log/test.log
echo "---------------------------------" >> /var/log/test.log

as a service called "test" with cygrunsrv (using the same options as your
sshd service), and try to start it.  This should give you the exact
environment for the service (in /var/log/test.log), and might unearth some
clues.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT