setup.exe won't unpack the download

I'm a lowly newbie and have been trying to install Cygwin in Windows XP for the past 4 days to no avail and am about to throw in the towel...

Using the latest version of setup.exe 2.427 I can't even get bash started. The setup.exe seems to complete normally but none of the zipped packages seem to get unpacked: all the *.tar.bz2's are there but they don't get unpacked into .exe's...

For example, I have "bash-2.05b-16.tar.bz2" within the release subfolder in my c:\cygwinInstall download directory and setup.exe says "Installing..." at some point but in the end i can't find bash.exe or even the 'bin' folder within c:\cygwin although I know bash.exe is in that zipped file. Same is true for all the other *.tar.bz2's...

I've done the following:

- turned off all anti-virus software and all personal firewalls for the download

- downloaded the default packages to C:\cygwin using setup.exe five separate times after completely erasing all occurences of the word cygwin on my harddrive before a fresh install, and have tried downloading from different mirrors

- have changed my Path variable so that "c:\cygwin\bin" and "c:\cygwin" are included in it

- for each attempt i've run setup.exe at least twice, once to download, a second time to install (have also tried installing directly from the internet) First time it says "Installation complete" second time it says "Nothing needed to be installed"

- set the installation to All Users, have tried both Dos and Unix text mode on completely separate attempts, have tried re-installing packages

- when i click on the Cygwin icon cygwin.bat won't run because it can't find bash.exe....which makes sense since nothing has actually unpacked...

Here is what my current setup.log says:

2004/11/05 10:41:16 Starting cygwin install, version 2.427
2004/11/05 10:41:16 Current Directory: C:\cygwinInstall
2004/11/05 10:41:16 Changing gid to Users
2004/11/05 10:41:16 Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
2004/11/05 10:41:22 source: download
2004/11/05 10:41:23 Selected local directory: C:\cygwinInstall
2004/11/05 10:41:24 net: Direct
2004/11/05 10:41:27 site: http://planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin
2004/11/05 10:41:47 mbox note: Download Complete
2004/11/05 10:41:48 Ending cygwin install

(I've also tried installing with McShield turned on on a separate occasion and got the same log entry for McShield...)

Sorry to bother the list, but I've stepped through the Cygwin FAQ many times, have been Googling and looking around the Cygwin mailing list archives for the past two days and can't find any clues.

- Baffled student