Re: Creating superuser (root) in Cygwin

At 01:25 PM 11/7/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I need to create or access a superuser account in Cygwin.
>
>The problem is that I'm trying to compile sudo (http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/) and unfortunately, I need superuser privilegdes to install or run the program, or even edit its configuration files.
>
>Again, I'm writing a multithreaded program that needs to raise the priority of certain threads. The thread library function that does this again requires superuser priviledges to run.
>
>These are just two of the problems I've encountered lately. I really need to create a root account in Cygwin.

Based on the above statements, it seems you don't understand the differences
in the security model between Unix-based platforms and Windows NT-based
platforms.  You may find the following sections in the Cygwin User's Guide
useful/helpful in this regard:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID>
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SWITCH>

I haven't looked at the 'sudo' code but based on it's description, I would
say that it if it relies on changing the user context to work, the above
references are relevant.  It's also not likely to be a straight-forward
port.  As to required privileges to install, run, or edit any files of
'sudo', you need to determine what 'sudo' is using to decide whether you
have proper privileges to do these things.  Again, this is a porting issue
and may just come down to changing code that looks for the current user's
id as 0 to something that makes sense on Windows, 544 (Administrator)
perhaps.

Holliston, MA 01746