RE: if construct doesn't work in makefile

  There's nothing wrong with the command syntax in general.  The problem is that
in bash, you can't put a space between the VARIABLE and the = sign, or bash
thinks it's an executable to search the $PATH for instead of a variable to
assign to.

dk@mace /tmp/bgcc> unset FRED
dk@mace /tmp/bgcc> if test [-dc:/baar]; then FRED=yes; else FRED=no; fi
dk@mace /tmp/bgcc> echo ${FRED}