Cygwin has two ROOT tree strcutures and the old one is not the default anymore.

I have two root directory structures (both with usr, bin, etc, ...). One under the standard C:\cygwin ( i.e. /cygdrive/c/cygwin) and the other under C:\cygwin\download (i.e. /cygdrive/c/cygwin/download).
When I enquire about the default bin location here is the reply:
$ which ls
/usr/bin/ls

Here is what leads to it. The last couple of days I had a problem with several DLLs (linintl-1.dll, cygwin DLL, ?) when I was trying to install new components. At the same time, ls and most command stopped working on a bash shell, except few like cd and pwd. Although it seemed slightly better when I redefined the default path to the bin directory with PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH", ls on /usr/bin directory prompted more complaints on missing dlls. It felt as if a lot of the env parameter where not defined and cygwin totally incapacitated.

I re-installed the libraries which were reported missing, even though there were present in their respective directory. Out of frustration I re-installed the entire base Cygwin and most of the libraries and dev components.

Now, everything seems working except that I have two directory structures, and the libraries and source code I compiled are in the depreciated structure.

Did I break my cygwin? Can I salvage my old structure in order to save all that I had organized and compiled in it (lots of hours)?

Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,
Donat-Pierre

P.s.: I attached a cygcheck.out file for further details (i.e. generated with cygcheck -s -v ?r ).